2019 Chevrolet Equinox vs. 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan
The 2019 model year offers many vehicles in the crossover vehicle class. The Chevrolet Equinox and the Volkswagen Tiguan both vie for the top spot, but the 2019 Chevrolet Equinox should be the best choice for most buyers, as evidenced below.
Trims, Engines, and Features
- Four trims: L, LS, LT, and Premier
- Three engine sizes including a fuel-efficient diesel
The basic L model is a custom-only order, but if you’re looking for maximum value from the Chevrolet Equinox, it’s worth the wait. It offers a turbocharged 1.5-liter, four-cylinder engine, and a six-speed automatic transmission. That’s 170 horsepower and 203 pounds per foot of torque.
Other engine options include a turbocharged 2.0-liter engine that comes standard with a nine-speed auto transmission and a fuel-efficient 1.6-liter diesel with a six-speed auto transmission.
- Three trims: S, SE, and SEL
The basic model of the Volkswagen Tiguan comes with a 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine, and an eight-speed automatic transmission. It offers 184 horsepower and 221 pounds per foot of torque.
Both feature 16 valves and dual overhead cams (DOHC).
Gas Mileage, Tank Size, MPG, and Towing Capacity
Both vehicle’s gas tanks are about the same size at 15.3 gallons for the Tiguan and 15.6 for the Equinox. However:
- The Equinox gets noticeably better MPG at 28 in the city and 39 on the highway.
- The Tiguan uses more fuel at 22 MPG in the city and 29 on the highway.
- The Equinox has a towing capacity of 1,500-3,500 lbs.
- The Tiguan has a maximum towing capacity 1,500 lbs.
Overall, the Equinox gets better gas mileage and has a larger towing capacity.
Seating, Cargo Capacity, and Vehicle Size
The Equinox is a five-passenger vehicle while the Tiguan can accommodate seven passengers with its third-row seating.
- The Equinox has a 29.9 cubic foot cargo capacity.
- The Tiguan has a 12.0 cubic foot cargo capacity.
- The Equinox overall size: 183.1 in. length x 72.6 in. width and 107.3 in. wheelbase.
- The Tiguan overall size: 185.1 in. length x 72.4 in. width and 109.8 in. wheelbase.
The Tiguan is the only crossover vehicle that offers third-row seating, but this means that there is much less cargo space even though the overall vehicle size is considered one of the largest compact crossover SUVs. Third-row seating sounds good on paper, but it is hard to access and is therefore not adult friendly.
If seating capacity is the biggest consideration on the buyer’s part, then the Volkswagen is the way to go with its third-row seating. If luxury features are at the top of your wishlist, then the Chevrolet Equinox would be better suited for your lifestyle. The Chevrolet Equinox overall seems to be a better choice over the Volkswagen Tiguan.
Technology and Safety Features
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
- Six USB ports.
- A forward collision warning system — a sound alarms when the vehicle approaches another vehicle in front of it and a collision is imminent.
- Infotainment system.
- Safety blind spot alert — this illuminates lights on the mirrors when another vehicle is in or approaches either blind spot.
- Safety alert seat — this vibrates when advanced safety systems such as parking sensors and blind spot monitor are activated.
- Panoramic sunroof.
- Surround view parking camera.
- Ventilated front seats.
Front and rear bowtie emblems, wheel locks, roof rack cross rails, hands-free entry, one-touch power windows, heated mirrors, keyless ignition, and a rearview camera are also offered on the Equinox.
The Chevrolet Equinox Premier package includes 18-inch wheels, LED headlights and taillights, fog lights, auto dimming mirrors, roof rails, driver seat memory settings, wireless device charging, a 2.0-liter engine, a hands-free liftgate, chrome exterior trim, ambient interior lighting, rear parking sensors, remote engine start, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, heated front seats, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring, and dual-zone automatic climate controls.
The top package for the Chevrolet Equinox includes a few more luxury items such as a heated steering wheel, automatic high beams, a 360-degree parking camera, a sunroof, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning and lane assist, a forward collision alert, 19-inch wheels, a seven-speaker Bose audio sound system with HD radio, power passenger seat, ventilated front seats, heated rear outboard seats, and a meter that measures the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
- Automatic emergency braking, pedestrian detection, and blind spot monitors (some models).
- Adaptive cruise control (some models).
- Active lane control (some models).
- Automatic high beams and parking sensors (some models).
Heated mirrors, rearview camera, keyless ignition, front and rear parking sensors, hands-free entry, one-touch power windows, and remote keyless power door locks (available on some models).
Both models have many new technological features that allow a user to charge multiple devices, easily navigate directions, and a touchscreen interface. The Equinox offers more of these features as standard instead of as optional extras.
The Volkswagen Tiguan leaves a lot to be desired regarding entertainment where the Chevrolet Equinox has high-end luxury features that stand out in its price range.
Conclusion: Choose the 2019 Chevrolet Equinox
The Equinox offers three different engines that mean more horsepower and more torque and results in a larger towing capacity of up to 3,500 lbs. The cargo capacity is more than twice the size of the Tiguan. Even though the Tiguan has third-row seating, this eats up the cargo space and makes the towing capacity very weak for an SUV.
The estimated gas mileage for the Chevrolet Equinox shows it is a top performer when it comes to MPG. The Volkswagen Tiguan has much lower efficiency compared to most other crossover SUVs due to its inefficient engine. Although the Tiguan is considered one of the larger-sized crossover SUVs, it lacks mileage performance.
Even safety scores for the Tiguan are suspect. The insurance industry noted that the halogen headlights on the Tiguan rated “poor” while the headlights on the SEL Tiguan rated “Marginal.”
The conclusion is that the Chevrolet Equinox offers a lot more for your money. It provides a nice balance between size and cargo space, a large towing capacity, fantastic gas mileage compared to others in the same crossover class, a lot of trim and engine options from which to choose, and it performs well in safety tests.